Sunday, February 22, 2015

lil carb Buffalo Wings

Watch me make these wings!


Jason and I LOVE wings!  I'm a wing girl and he's a drum guy- it's like we were meant to be or something... hehe.
When we started our low carb lifestyle I was pleasantly surprised to find that buffalo wings were low carb and if you pick the right blue cheese or ranch, that's low carb too. In honor of the Dayton 500 today I decided to make my lil carb buffalo wings. The method that I use to cook the wings is a great starting point for any sauce that you want to toss the wings in.  We prefer our wings extra crispy and today I made a spicy buffalo sauce to toss them in.

*Watch me whip up Homemade lil carb Blue Cheese Dressing*

I started out with about 1 and 1/4 lbs of wings. 
Already trimmed and ready to go.
I place them on a baking rack that I sprayed with cooking spray and laid that on top of a tin foil lined baking sheet. This step really helps keep my wings crispy. 
I also gave the wings a quick spray with cooking spray then I put them in the oven.

Then I prepped my sauce. I used a combination of Xtra Hot and Buffalo.
If you want mild wings just use all Buffalo.
I just warmed butter and those sauces in a pan until it was hot and the butter was melted.
And the sauce is done!


These are the crispy wings themselves! Ready for the sauce!


Then I poured the sauce into a large bowl and tossed all the wings. 
I let the wings sit in the sauce for a minute or so to really soak in the flavor.


For the blue cheese I did not have all of the ingredients to make my own but I did have store bought blue cheese.  To make it my own I added in a pinch of black pepper and some extra blue cheese crumbles. 

I plated the wings with some celery and chowed down with Jason!


lil carb Extra Crispy- Hot Buffalo Wings - Serves 2 - 
1- 1 1/2 lbs of Wings
1/2 Stick Butter
1/4 Cup Buffalo Sauce - Franks Brand
1/2 Cup Xtra Hot Sauce - Franks Brand

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
Cover baking sheet with tin foil. Place baking rack on top of foil (optional). 
Spray baking rack with cooking spray.
Lay all the wings on the rack spreading the wings out so they have room to cook evenly.
Spray the wings lightly with cooking spray and bake for 30 minutes on the center rack of your oven. 
Flip the wings over, increase the oven temperature to 420 degrees and bake an additional 10 minutes. 
Flip them over again and move them up one rack so they are closer to the broiler. Broil the wings for 4 minutes. Watch them closely to decide how crispy you want them. For the sauce, in a medium saucepan melt the butter and stir in the buffalo sauces until warm and combined. Remove the wings from the oven and toss them in the sauce allowing them to sit in the sauce for about a minute then serve up with celery and blue cheese or ranch!

For my homemade lil carb Blue Cheese Dressing go HERE!








No comments:

Post a Comment