Sunday, July 26, 2015

lil carb Spicy Sausage



























I've been on a sausage kick lately. Luckily Jason likes the links like I do because I cook em up a couple times a week. Why?? Because it's so simple!  There's nothing better than sausage baked in the oven, or grilled or sautéed... sausage any way is just YUM!  I have been trying to think of simple alternative ways to prepare sausage and I came up with a great idea!  Since I made a big batch of homemade pesto the other day, why not make pesto-sausage?!  I love the flavors of Italian sausage so instead of masking it I just decided to enhance it. Once you see how easy it is you'll make it too.  This is a really great dish because it is easy and flavorful- my 2 favorite things.  I have been trying to keep my recipes with a small amount of ingredients and as healthy as I can making everything seem complicated when it's really not!


Pesto Sausage- Serves 3
6 Sausage Links- hot or mild
1/8-1/4 cup Pesto- jarred or try my homemade version

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with tin foil for easy clean up and lay the links down piercing them with a knife about 2 times on both sides to let the steam out as they cook.
I cook them until they are browned up, turning them once halfway through.  This usually takes about 20-25 minutes.
In the meantime I scoop the pesto into a bowl.  After the sausage is done cooking I take it out of the oven and let it sit for a minute or two then I slice it and toss it into the bowl with the pesto.  I stir it until the warm sausage is coated in the pesto.  YUM!



 Serve with some grated parmesan cheese for a sharp, cheesy topping!

For the perfect meal serve with some spaghetti squash noodles and some spaghetti sauce! The combo of pesto and tomato sauce is one of my favorites!

Or serve with my Italian Baked Squash! Can you believe it's low carb? Recipe coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment