Sunday, August 23, 2015

Fiesta Corn on the Cob

OK, so I know corn is not a low carb veggie... however- I have a sweet spot at this time of the year for Jersey-fresh sweet corn.  It's something I have never deprived myself of when it is in season.  I follow a low carb diet but when it comes to a fresh veggie, like corn that when it's in season it is delicious- I will definitely indulge!  Plus it's not a whole cheesecake... it's a piece of corn!  I have to remember to live a lil! Living in New Jersey all my life has really spoiled me.  We have amazing corn that grows in every field surrounding my house.  Even the house we just bought in Pennsylvania right over the Jersey border has fields upon fields of corn.  This time of the year it is fresh and sweet and perfect for this recipe.  Since corn is not low carb I had to make sure everything else that I was adding to it was. Fresh is always best and I have a way to add some Mexican flavors to spice up a cob of corn.  Believe me, butter and a sprinkle of salt are are great but this is a different take on a summer veggie favorite! I brought some bold flavors and some Mexican spices to create a great appetizer or side dish to add to your fiesta.  We all know how I feel about cilantro- yuck! But for those of you who like it, chop it up and sub it for chives!

Fiesta Corn on the Cob - serves 2
2 ears of corn, husked
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp mayonnaise
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 a lime (about 1 Tbsp)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup queso fresco (or shredded mozzarella cheese)
2 Tbsp chopped chives -or- cilantro
Lime wedges for serving

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then heat a grill pan to medium high heat.  Drizzle 1/2 tbsp of olive oil on each ear of corn and spread around with your hands.  Place on the grill pan rotating every few minutes until grill marks brown up the corn.  While the grill does it's job assemble the topping for the corn. In a small bowl combine all the mayo, lime zest, lime juice, salt, pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder.  Mix well and set aside.
Once the corn is lightly charred, tear off 2 squares of aluminum foil. Place each ear of corn on their own foil square and top each one with half of the topping mixture. Roll the corn around to coat it then top each ear with half of the queso fresco cheese.  If you cannot find this cheese just sub mozzarella!
Wrap up each ear of corn into it's own pocket leaving the top open just a little but to let out the steam.
Pop 1/2 Tbsp of butter into the opening at the top of the pocket then place each foil wrapped corn on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
Once the timer is up, open up the foil packet and top with fresh chives or cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice!




No comments:

Post a Comment