Monday, August 17, 2015

lil carb 15 minute- Taco Chili


Watch me make this recipe!!



I love tacos...more importantly, I know I am not alone. However, low carb means I have to skip out on the shells.  So I thought why not morph these flavors into something else entirely?  My favorite part about tacos in general is that everyones tacos are different.  You can top them with whatever you enjoy most. I love dinners like that!  Another dinner that comes to mind that includes multiple toppings is chili.  So my brain gears started turning and I thought, hey- why not combine the two into a chill bowl filled with taco flavors and assorted toppings?  Well I know you will be thanking me because not only is this an amazing combination of flavors but it can be assembled quick for a really fun dinner experience!  I actually set up a little taco bar for Jason and I when I make this.  I fill bowls with chopped up toppings then as soon as the chili is ready - which only takes about 15 minutes- we can just go right down the line and add to our heaping piles of taco meat goodness with whatever toppings we want!  Even the chili ingredients are customizable to whatever you have or like!

15 Minute Taco Chili: Serves 3-4
1 lb ground meat- You can use beef, chicken, or turkey (however you like your tacos!)
1 bell pepper, diced -any color you prefer
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis including the juice
2 cups of kale, shredded into bite size pieces (optional)
1 cup cheese, you can use cheddar, jack, pepper jack, or some store have a "fiesta blend"
Taco Seasoning- make my homemade version here!

To start brown up your meat and pour off the excess grease. Over medium heat add the onion, garlic and pepper to the browned meat. Stir them around for 2-3 minutes until the veggies soften.  Then add in the taco seasoning. I usually add in about 2-3 tablespoons. Mix this around to coat.  Then add in the diced tomato can and then fill the can 1/4 of the way up with water to loosen stuck tomatoes and get the extra juice out of the can and add that to the skillet. Stir this around and let it bubble up for about a minute then add in the kale.  Stir and allow the kale to wilt down.  Once the kale is wilted turn the heat to medium low and top with the cheese.  Cover the pan for another minute until the cheese melts. Then it's ready to serve!  See below for some of my toppings ideas!



Taco Tips:
-Use any kind of ground meat that you have or prefer.  Thats the beauty of this quick chili, it is versatile too!
-I have made this dish with and without the kale.  Surprisingly when I made it without the kale Jason was asking where it was. Believe me, it was shocking! If you do add it, I do recommend that you cut it into bite size pieces that way it doesn't get too stringy. If you don't like kale, use spinach!
-Taco seasoning- once I hade my own I have never purchased it never again. I love making my own spice mixtures. I double the recipe and keep it sealed in a mason jar in my pantry! Get MY RECIPE!
-Now, the cheese... use whatever you prefer! I listed some of my favorites above but it can be whatever you want as long as it's shredded!
-Toppings!!!
More cheese.. yes please!
Black olive slices
Sliced jalapeƱos
Avocado slices
Taco sauce
Sour Cream
Salsa
Guacamole
Diced raw onion, red or white!
Oyster crackers
Scallions
...Anything your heart desires!





2 comments:

  1. I just found your youtube channel. I am going to make this tomorrow night. Thank youšŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have literally made this 3 times! I just love this recipe

    ReplyDelete