Saturday, October 15, 2016

lil carb Chicken Alfredo Rollatini

*Watch me cook this*

Some of my best recipes are written and created based on my cravings. This is one of them.  I was craving a creamy Alfredo sauce with chicken and broccoli and I thought how can I make this happen? I didn't feel like spaghetti squash so I thought- lightbulb- why not roll it up?!  Reminiscent of my lil carb Eggplant Rollatini, I decided to wing it and see how it goes.  Needless to say- I have made is 3 times since then. And by "then" I mean about 5 days ago.... if that doesn't show you how good this is I don't know what to tell ya. ha. But seriously, I'm making this again for dinner tonight! I am going to my sisters house and I wanted to make this for everyone!  Since this dinner is so versatile I'm actually doubling the recipe and stuffing half of the filling into pasta shells and the other half I am rolla-tini-ing.  It's great for a make ahead also because I am going to assemble everything at my house and then top it with cheese and bake it at her house! Chicken Alfredo and no (non low carb) guilt!!

lil carb Chicken Alfredo Rollatini - Serves 4 (2 rolls per person)
1 medium sized eggplant

1 cup broccoli florets, cut small
3/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1 cup cooked chicken
1/4 + 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
15oz Alfredo sauce, jarred or homemade
1 egg, beaten
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flake, optional
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt

4 slices cooked bacon, chopped for garnishing
1 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped for garnishing
Parmesan cheese, grated for garnishing
_____________________________________
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Slice your eggplant into 8 slices that are 1/4 inch thick.
Place them on a silpat or foil lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake them in the oven to release moisture for 8 minutes.
Take out and allow to cool.

While the eggplant is cooling add your broccoli to a microwave safe bowl. Add in 1 Tbsp of water. Microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds to lightly steam the broccoli. Take out and allow to cool slightly.
Next, mix up the filling.
In a medium bowl add in the
ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and mix together.
Add in the garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Mix again.
Add in the chicken and mix.
Add in 1 Tbsp of Alfredo sauce and mix.
Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
Then add in the beaten egg and thoroughly mix until the egg is well combined.
Lastly, fold in the broccoli, gently. Filling=done.

Take a 8/8 baking dish and add 1/3 cup Alfredo sauce into the bottom, spreading in a thin layer.
Next, take a piece of eggplant and add in 1/8th of the filling and spread out over the eggplant but leave a little boarder on one side. Start rolling on the opposite side and loosely roll.
Place seam side down in a baking dish. Repeat until you have 8 rolls. (watch the video above to see how I do it)
Top each roll with 1/4 Tbsp Alfredo sauce.
Sprinkle rolls with remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven. 375 for 30 minutes.
If the cheese is not browned at the end of 30 minutes place until the broiler for 1-2 minutes watching closely. Once it is done, remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
Heat up remaining Alfredo sauce in a sauce pan to use for serving.
To serve: ladle some Alfredo onto your plate, top with rollatini and garnish with chopped bacon, chives and parmesan cheese. ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment