Saturday, November 5, 2016

lil carb Meatloaf

Watch me make this recipe!


Per Serving- 1 slice of meatloaf and 1 Tbsp of sauce:
3g Net Carbs
22g Protein
226 Calories

Meatloaf... the nostalgic childhood meal that you either love or hate. In my case growing up I always had delicious meatloaf served at my house and I looked forward to those nights!  In my low carb journey I have created my own version of a low carb meatloaf that I know everyone will enjoy. It comes out perfectly every time and it can serve quite a few people, double the recipe and serve even more!  If you think you don't like meatloaf- try mine. Seriously- it is delicious comfort food. But really, what is bad when it's covered in bacon and ketchup?! Not much! So at least I have that working for me! hehe


lil carb Meatloaf- Serves 6
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb ground beef, I used 90/10
2 eggs, scrambled lightly with a fork
1/8 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp low sugar ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
5 Slices of bacon, raw

Topping:
2 Tbsp low sugar ketchup

Kats Meatloaf Sauce (6 servings): 
6 Tbsp low sugar ketchup
2 tsp A1 steak sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a small saucepan melt the butter and olive oil and saute the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes over medium heat until they are soft and a little golden brown along the edges.
Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Set that aside as well.

In a large bowl add in the beef, egg, salt, pepper, parsley, ketchup, Worcestershire, and the cooled onion and garlic (plus whatever butter and oil are left in your pan- add it all).
With clean hands mix until everything is just combined.
Put the meatloaf mixture onto your baking sheet and flatten to get rid of any air bubbles then form into your desired shape (watch my video above for further clarification).
Without overlapping, lay the bacon on top of the surface of the meatloaf. I don't like to tuck the ends under but you can if you would like.
Bake for 50-60 minutes. I baked mine in the video above for 60 minutes but all ovens are different.
Spread a thin layer of the topping- 2 tbsp pf low sugar ketchup- right on top.
Bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until the ketchup is a deep red color and caramelized.
Let sit for 10 minutes to cool then add to your platter, slice up, serve with some of my meatloaf sauce on the side and ENJOY!


If you're looking for a low carb side dish to serve this with look to the bar to the left of this post and click on "Side Dish" for some inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. Does the small amount of panko effect ketosis if following a ketogenic diet. Thanks

    ReplyDelete