Wednesday, May 4, 2016

lil carb Lemon Alfredo Sauce

I am ready for Spring! If it's not going to snow I have no use for the cold. I am ready for tank tops and warm weather! When Spring begins I like to start cooking with Spring flavors and to me that is fresh vegetables and citrus and grilled chicken! That is exactly what this meal is.  The sauce is the focus of this post because once you have a great sauce- the sky is the limit to exactly what you can make with it.  If you're not watching your carbs this sauce is also just a really tasty alfredo with a kiss of lemon that brightens it right up. Add this to pasta or even chicken and rice... really anything you want!

lil carb Lemon Alfredo Sauce- Serves 3-4
1 cup heavy cream
3 Tbsp butter, divided
2 Tbsp cream cheese, I use chive and onion flavor
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup fine grated parmesan cheese
1 lemon, zested & juiced
red pepper flake (optional)

Over medium/medium high heat add the cream and butter and warm up until lightly bubbling around the edges. Whisk in the cream cheese until melted. Add in the salt, pepper, garlic powder and whisk. Add in the zest and juice of one lemon and whisk until combined. Then add in the parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of red pepper flake if you are using.  Let simmer for a 3-5 minutes until thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
Serve immediately with your favorite veggies, pasta, rice, or any recipe that requires an alfredo sauce! See how I used it below:



I cooked a medium size spaghetti squash in the microwave by piecing it about 10 times with a knife (carefully) then I microwaved it for about 5 minutes and then flipped it over and cooked for another 5 minutes then I cut it open, discarded the seeds and removed the flesh with a fork to create "noodles"
I also took about 20 asparagus spears and 8 oz of sliced mushrooms, tossed them in olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast them in the oven at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes until they were brown and crispy. Then I had Jason grill up some chicken and I served the chicken, asparagus, and mushrooms over the cooked spaghetti squash and top with my Lemon Alfredo Sauce!  Perfect Spring dinner!  Even better as leftovers too! ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment