Monday, December 15, 2014

Chunky Chicken Pot Pie Soup

I think its safe to say that I am on a soup kick.  It's been happening this time of the year for the past few years now. I crave soup! Any kind... all kinds! There's something about a cold December night that makes me want to curl up with a yummy bowl of soup. This recipe is a good 'make ahead and reheat soup' or easy enough to pull together on a weeknight; plus I make it with very little carbs so the hubby is happy too!  The garnish isn't exactly low carb but it is the holidays and I am a lil less strict with myself.  Plus who has pot pie without pie crust?! ;) I also subbed out some of the traditional veggies for some lower carb versions. But trust me, you won't miss them! But if you do you can certainly sub them back in. I also decided to use fresh herbs versus dried. I think it adds a welcome freshness to the soup.  Lets get started!

First comes celery!

Followed by carrots- I love the flavor from baby carrots! Chop them in half and then into thin slices.


Next a whole white onion chopped.

Just look at those lovely veggies! 
Melt some butter in a soup pot and add in those chopped veggies along with a couple cloves of minced garlic.  



Next add in the mushrooms to the pot! Mmmm

Next add in the fresh herbs! Italian parsley, thyme, and rosemary.  I must say I'm partial to rosemary- its my favorite! Also throw in a bay leaf.


Sprinkle with salt and pepper and let the veggies cook for a few minutes.

Next comes the chicken stock! 
Add it in and bring to a boil and let it cook down for 10 minutes.

Then I add in 1/2 head of cauliflower- this is what I subbed 2 boiled potatoes for.  Keeps the carb count lower. 

Next is one package of frozen peas.

Followed by one rotisserie chicken with all the meat removed and cut into chunks.

Mmmm my kitchen smelled SO good right about now. 

While the soup is bubbling away, in a cast iron skillet we're going to make the rue to thicken the soup.
Add in half and half and whole wheat flour along with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.  Whisk together until the flour is dissolved and bubbly. Whisk in some butter to enhance the flavor even more. 

Add that mixture into the soup!
And season with some more salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer for 20 minutes to reduce and thicken the soup.

In the meantime I made my garlic parmesan pie crusts croutons- say that 5 times fast! 
I started by melting butter on low heat in a small saucepan.  Then I added in chopped garlic to flavor the butter. Once it melted together I let it cook for 5 minutes or so and took it off the heat to let it sit. 

Take a store bought pie crust and cut it into whatever shapes you desire. I did some squares and some strips.
Use a silpad if you have one! If you don't, buy one! It is my favorite kitchen tool. It fits right on top of your baking sheet and helps to bake everything evenly. 


Brush the pie crusts with the garlic butter. 

Bake for 15 minutes.  Then take them out and brush with another layer of garlic butter. I love garlic so I put some of the garlic on the croutons.  Then I sprinkled on parmesan cheese- garlic, parmesan, butter... this can't possibly go wrong... unless of course I burned them- but don't worry, I didn't.

Put them back into the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese and crusts are golden brown.



Check the soup for seasoning, add more salt and pepper to taste. I like to sprinkle in a lil garlic salt!
Soup is done! Take out the bay leaf and scoop out the soup into bowls.  Garnish with the pie crust croutons.

Now go and enjoy this soup! 

Chunky Chicken Pot Pie Soup 
(Serves 4-5)

5 Tbsp butter, divided
1 white onion 
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 heaping cup carrots, diced
1 heaping cup celery, diced
8 Oz package mushrooms
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 head cauliflower (3 cups), cut into small florets
9 Oz frozen peas
1 Tbsp fresh thyme OR 1 tsp dried
1 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley OR 1 tsp dried
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary OR 1 tsp dried
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cups half and half
3 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt plus more for seasoning
1 tsp pepper plus more for seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

Melt 3 Tbsp butter in a soup pot over medium high heat and sauté onion, carrot and celery for about 3 minutes until they begin to soften. Add in the chopped garlic and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook another minute. Add in the mushrooms, bay leaf, and herbs- parsley, thyme and rosemary- cook another 2 minute. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Cook at a simmer for 10 minutes. Next add in the peas, cauliflower, and chopped chicken. In a cast iron skillet heat the half and half with garlic and onion powder and a tsp each of salt and pepper. Whisk in whole wheat flour. Continue whisking until thick and bubbly then add in remaining 2 Tbsp butter and whisk until combined. Add the rue into the soup pot and stir until combined. Bring soup back up to a bubble and cook for another 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, check for seasoning add more salt and pepper then spoon into bowls. Garnish with garlic parmesan pie crust croutons (recipe below).


Garlic Parmesan Pie Crust Croutons
1 sheet of store bough pie crust
2 Tbsp butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat butter on low heat until melted. Add in garlic and stir. Continue heating on low for about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Cut dough into desired shapes, place on a cookie sheet - a silpad works best! Brush with garlic butter and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush on another layer of garlic butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake another 5-8 minutes until cheese and pie crust is golden brown. 

'H' for Hart! 

No comments:

Post a Comment