Saturday, January 24, 2015

Broccoli- Double Cheddar- Bacon Frittata- lil carb of course!


On this snowy Saturday morning I made the most wonderful frittata for Jason and I.  We finished the whole thing between the two of us. Now we have the energy that we need to shovel ourselves out! I'm not babbling much today because I want to share this amazing recipe!

I started by cutting up some bacon.  I kept the pieces a little larger than I would usually because I wanted bigger pieces to bite into in the frittata.

In a my cast iron skillet I cooked the bacon until it was nice and crispy but not burned.

After the bacon was nice and crisp I removed it from the pan and let it drain on a paper towel.

Then I chopped a garlic clove, an onion, and some broccoli.
The broccoli I cut pretty small.  

Then I added those 3 ingredients into the skillet that I had cooked the bacon in. Don't drain the bacon grease, there isn't much and it has such great flavor!

While the broccoli, onions, and garlic are sautéing, whisk 7 eggs with a healthy pinch of salt and pepper.

Turn off the heat for the skillet, add the bacon back in and then add the egg mixture to the skillet. 
I like to make sure the broccoli and bacon are distributed evenly throughout the frittata so I spread it around just a little. 

Than I used 2 types of cheddar cheese; white and yellow! 
Yummmm

I topped the frittata with white and then yellow cheddar.

Popped the whole skillet into the oven! 
Thats why I love this cast iron skillet! If you don't have one... you need one.... because I said so.

Look at that!  With the help of the skillet the egg makes this amazing "crust" the texture was the same as a flour crust!
The cheese gets nice and golden and crunchy... jeez get me a knife to cut into this thing!!! 

And there you have it!  A gloriously lil carb breakfast! 
Jason and I ate this whole 10 inch skillet worth... well we may have shared with the chow bears... but it was enjoyed by everyone! 

Broccoli- Double Cheddar- Bacon Frittata: 
-Serves 3-4-

6 slices of bacon, cut 
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup broccoli florets
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, white or yellow or both
7 eggs
Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Heat cast iron or oven proof skillet over medium high heat and cook bacon for 6 minutes or until crispy. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel. Without cleaning the skillet add in the broccoli, onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.  Then turn the heat off on the skillet.  Whisk together eggs with a pinch or two of salt and pepper.   Add the bacon back into the skillet with the broccoli and then pour the egg mixture into the skillet making sure the broccoli and bacon and onion are evenly distributed throughout. Top the skillet with the cheddar cheese and put into the oven.  After is bakes for 20 minutes it is ready to be gobbled up!

No comments:

Post a Comment