Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Simple Lil Side- Part 1


One of the things I wanted to continue to work on this year was to keep cooking fresh and flavorful food. That being said I keep trying to tell myself that recipes don't have to be complicated.  Sometimes I get it into my head that I need to create or find complicated recipes with a lot of ingredients- some obscure- for a meal to be "good".  But I need to remember that sometimes simple can be better and every day doesn't have to be a recipe with 20 steps.  
This time it was all about knowing what flavors go together and throwing them in a sauce pan and in mere minutes having a yummy creation.  I was searching through my fridge to find ingredients to make a side dish and I came across 4 simple items that ended up pairing well together.  I bet most people will have these veggies in their fridge. This side is healthy and low carb as well which is my main goal!  Plus its colorful and who doesn't love when their plate is colorful?! You eat first with your eyes, remember!

I started off with broccoli and a red pepper.  I cut them into bite size pieces.  

Then I chopped some garlic- I had elephant garlic on hand which if you have never had it- it is amazing- if you see it, try it!  I love garlic... a lot, so elephant garlic is perfect for me because I use it almost every day and it is huge cloves rather than a bunch of tiny ones.  It's also really great roasted in the oven! 
-Elephant garlic cloves-
*not my hands* ha
To my new Calphalon skillet- hehe- I added in some butter and once it heated up I added in my broccoli first. Jason and I like our veggies still pretty crispy when I serve them.  Mushy veggies seem sad to me so I like to keep them bright and colorful and a lil crunchy when I serve them.  You can taste as you go and adjust the cooking time to your families preferences.


Once the broccoli cooks for a few minutes I add in the peppers.  Give it a good mix then add in the garlic.  I cook that for a few minutes until the veggies soften just enough then I add in the green onion and cook another minute or so.  I sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper and just like that you have a really healthy and beautiful side dish! I gobbled this up - I really did. I think I even ate from Jason's plate- Shhh. Sometimes a simple and fresh side dish that is easy to prepare is what makes me happy and it makes me remember that sometimes less ingredients is better. In this case is definitely is! Mmmm!



Broccoli Saute - Serves 2
1 medium head broccoli cut into small florets- you could use the stems too!
1 red pepper chopped into bite size pieces or strips
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 green onions, chopped
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp butter

Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and melt the butter.  Once it is fragrant add in the broccoli and sauce for about 2 minutes. Then add in the red pepper and garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes. Add in 3/4 of the green onion and sauté for another minute or so until they wilt a lil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and the remaining green onions and serve!

Veggie Humor LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment