Saturday, January 17, 2015

Simple Lil Side- Part 2

So many times I have the perfect protein idea for a tasty dinner but I'm laking a clean and healthy veggie side. This recipe is one of my go-to simple sides.  It tastes so fresh and flavorful and it stays true to the main ingredient- asparagus!  I don't like to overcook my veggies. I like when they still have a nice crunch.  However I also like the flavor of roasted veggies. In order to achieve both I roast my veggies for a lil then put them under the broiler for a few minutes at the end of cooking.  That way you can achieve the char from the broiler without having them be mush.

I start by snapping the ends off of about 20 asparagus.
Put them in a baking dish or on a sheet pan.
I pour some olive oil on them and mix them around with clean hands.


Then I add on some of the good stuff!
Lemon zest and juice, chopped up garlic, onion powder and salt and pepper.


I mix these together until everything is coated and the garlic is well dispersed. It has a tendency to fall to the bottom of the pan.



I roast this in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, mixing half way through then I broil these beauties for 1 minutes, mix and broil for one last minute. In the last minute of cooking sometimes I will top with mozzarella cheese! 


The garlic gets nice and soft and very mild and the lemon juice and olive oil blend together to make this wonderful sauce. The lemon zest melts into the sauce and mixes with the garlic- just wow. 

If you're looking for a simple side with only a few ingredients that tastes super fresh and will pair well with a lot of different proteins- try this!


Garlic & Lemon Asparagus- Serves 2 -
About 20 asparagus spears
1 lemon, zested then juiced- *always zest first*
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
2-4 cloves of garlic- depending your preference
1/4 tsp onion powder

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Snap the ends off of the asparagus and place either on a sheet pan or in a baking dish. Coats spears in olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Mix well to get all the spears coated and the garlic well distributed. Put in the oven and let them roast for about 15-20 minutes mixing halfway through. Place under the broiler for 1 minute, mix and broil one more minute.  Once out of the oven mix the spears again and serve!

2 comments:

  1. YUM!!! Ever since you gave me this recipe it is my go to for roasted asparagus. So so so good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzy, I'm so glad you enjoy it as much as I do!

      Delete