Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Lil Breakfast, A Lotta Protein

I am not an egg person. Well, let me rephrase that.  I'm a cheesy eggs covered in ketchup with a stack of buttered rye toast kinda person.  Now that's my idea of eggs! Although a tasty breakfast, it's not low carb. I find eggs hard to eat without condiments and toast.  They are a great breakfast choice for a low carb diet however they are just not working for me.  But I can't skip breakfast or else I'm starving by 8:15 am and I throw off my metabolism for the whole day and no one wants to be around a hungry woman... not good. I came up with this breakfast idea from a pin I found on Pinterest. It was about adding spices to yogurt to make it into something else so I thought I could use greek yogurt and create a protein rich breakfast with healthy carbs that will satisfy me until my mid morning snack.  One of my favorite breakfast foods from before I was carb conscious was strawberry yogurt with granola. I liked there to be a 2-1 ratio, the 2 being the granola! This breakfast reminds me of that.  Caution: It is not overly sweet.  I think since I have cut way back on my sugar I don't notice it as much when things aren't as sweet.  But I noticed it in this breakfast.  You may want to add additional Trivia. That will do the trick to sweeten it right up!  You could sprinkle extra on the nuts as well as some right into the yogurt.

Here goes my Cinnamon Spiced Yogurt with Cinnamon Pecan faux-nola
I mixed Fage yogurt with pumpkin pie spice.  I also added in extra cinnamon.  It is in pumpkin pie spice but I just love the flavor I wanted that to be the overwhelming taste. At this point you could add Truvia to the yogurt.


I mixed it right in the tuber ware I was going to take to work.  I make one serving at a time but you could definitely make this in bulk and store it in the fridge!

So now that we have the yogurt flavored we need to make our faux-granola.
Nuts are so good for you and they are a great source of protein.  Today I used pecans but you could use almonds or walnuts too!  When I eat this breakfast it feels like I am eating granola. 

I melted a lil butter in a sauce pan then added in some cinnamon.  Off the heat I added my pecans then I swirled the pan around until all of the nuts were coated. 



Before roasting
I popped them into my toaster oven to roast for about 4 minutes then I let them cool on the sheet pan.  I put the nuts in their own tuber ware container and stored them in the fridge too! 

When I'm ready I poured the nuts over the yogurt, mixed and commenced breakfast!

After roasting

Cinnamon Faux-Nola - 1 Serving-
1/3 cup greek yogurt (I used Fage)
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice 
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 packet of Truvia (Optional)

Nut Topping- 2 Servings-
1/2 cup pecans, walnuts, or almonds, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp cinnamon, plus more to sprinkle
1 packet of Truvia (optional)

Mix the yogurt ingredients together and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Melt butter in a saucepan and add in cinnamon.  Remove from heat and add in the nuts. Shake the pan until all of the nuts are coated. Pour onto a sheet pan and roast for 4 minutes watching carefully that the nuts don't burn.  Let cool on the sheet pan. Sprinkle on additional cinnamon and Truvia. Then top the yogurt with half of the nut mixture. Reserve the rest of the nuts for tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment