Thursday, July 21, 2016

lil carb Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers

    
Watch my YouTube video on how to make these!



I have yet to find a low carb sloppy joe recipe. Every one that I came across had brown sugar, granulated sugar, or BOTH in the recipe.  This will not do for me because I love me some sloppy joes!  SO... I began recipe testing and you all will flourish in my rewards of this perfect recipe. Dare I say this is the best sloppy joe mixture I've ever tasted?! Well it is.  I stuffed mine into peppers but you could easily take this healthy sloppy joe recipe and add your favorite hamburger bun for the traditional sandwich. SO GOOD- you need to make this asap- it might seems like quite a few ingredients but most of these ingredients I had in my pantry and fridge already- and don't be scared of the steps- I wrote everything out the way I did so that it would be easy to follow.
Get in the kitchen and whip this up tonight!


lil carb Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers- Makes 4 peppers
1 lb ground beef, Use 90/10
4 bell peppers, any color you prefer

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup chopped carrots
3 cloves garlic, chopped

1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper , to taste (optional)
Pinch of allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

1/2 cup low sugar ketchup
2 cups low carb tomato sauce (the cans that say tomato sauce, not marinara sauce)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar

4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
_______________________________________
Start off by preheating your oven to 400 degrees.
Cut off the very top of the peppers with the stem and reserve.
The bottom of the peppers remove the seeds and the cores from the inside.
Put the pepper bottoms in your oven for 8 minutes to soften them up.
Then take them out of the oven and set them aside while you make your sloppy joe filling.

Take the pepper tops and cut around the stem - chop up the good pieces so that you have about 1/2 cup of chopped bell pepper.
Chop all your other veggies and get them done before you heat your skillet.
In a large skillet over medium high heat add in 2 tbsp olive oil.
Then add in your carrots and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Then add in the onion, chopped up pepper tops, and celery.
Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently for 8 minutes until the veggies soften. Lower your heat if the veggies start to get dark brown.
Add in the garlic and stir constantly for 1 minutes so the garlic does not burn.
Remove the veggies from the skillet  and put into a small bowl and set aside.
In the same skillet raise the heat to high and cook the ground meat until it is cooked through.
Drain off any excess fat.
Lower the heat back down to medium.
Add the cooked veggies back into the skillet with the ground meat.
Add in the dried thyme, paprika, cayenne (if using), allspice pinch, salt and pepper.
Stir to evenly distribute the spices.
Then add in the red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well.
Then carefully stir in the ketchup and tomato sauce.
Let this mixture bubble up and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat and it will become nice and thick.
Stir often.
After 10 minutes fill your 4 pepper bottoms with the sloppy joe mixture and top each one with about 2 oz of cheese.
I use a square baking dish to help them stand up and bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes then pop under the broil for 1-2 minutes until your cheese is brown and bubbly.
Let sit for a few minutes - they will be very hot.
Garnish with some fresh chopped parsley then.....ENJOY!


2 comments:

  1. This was the best recipe that I have ever made. I don't like sloppy joe's, but this won my husband and I over. He begged me to make it again tonight, so I am and happy to do so. So tasty, thanks so much for this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!! I'm so happy you enjoyed this one! Your positive comment means so much to me!! :)

      Delete