Tuesday, July 12, 2016

lil carb Zucchini Gratin

If you're in the mood for a laugh watch my video on how I made this side dish and see exactly how I pronounced gratin- hehe!

I posted this recipe many moons ago and decided that it needed a revamp.  I also recorded the how-to video on how I make this side dish so I am reposting today!
Yes, very exciting!
This side dish is SO good- and it is actually how I fell in love with a young lad named Gruyere... jk its just cheese and not a person BUT this cheese is relatively cheap and it is super flavorful.  I always buy the smoked version. I have made this with regular gruyere that hasn't been smoked and I am sorry to say it does not taste the same.  Still good, just not as amazing as the smoked cheese.  Get that if you can!
This recipe is also a perfect way to use your overabundance of zucchini- a great way to utilize in-season veggies!

lil carb Zucchini Gratin- serves 4
1 Tbsp butter
1 lb of fresh zucchini, grated
1/2 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 tsp- 1 tsp nutmeg*
1/2 cup half and half OR Heavy Cream
4 oz smoked gruyere cheese, grated

Grate zucchini and place in a colander.  Sprinkle with salt to release moisture. Let sit 5- 25 minutes then squeeze to drain out liquid.  
Sauté onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon of butter for 2-3 minutes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Add zucchini and sprinkle with nutmeg*.  Cook about 2 minutes until zucchini is warmed through. Check for seasonings- add more salt, pepper, or nutmeg if needed. Next add the half and half and stir until thickened- about 2 minutes- taste one more time for seasoning. Put in a greased baking dish and top with the grated gruyere cheese. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes and then place under the broiler for a minute or 2 to brown the cheese.  Serve immediately. 

*Nutmeg seasoning amount is up to you- taste as you go but be careful because if you add too much nutmeg there is not much you can do. Watch my video above for how I like to add and taste.*

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment