Tuesday, November 4, 2014

lil carb Taco Seasoning




One of my Jasons favorite dinners has always been tacos.   Whenever I ask him what I should make he always will say tacos ha. Tacos have always been a favorite of mine as well. Just an easy weeknight dinner that is simple to prepare but can be really yummy. Now adays I am making my own taco seasoning and storing it in my pantry and browning up some meat and making a taco salad. It's super simple and it really pays off because if you mix the dried spices in your own kitchen you're not eating all the preservatives and extra carbs that are in packaged mixes.
I use a mason jar to store the seasoning as well as mix it up.  Most of the spices you probably have in your pantry right now!
lil carb Taco Seasoning
Mix/shake together:
4 Tbsp Chili Powder- any kind you like. I have made it with dark chili powder and ancho chile powder as well as regular chili powder.
1 tsp Paprika
3 tsp Cumin
1 1/2 tbsp Onion Powder
1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/8-1/4 tsp Cayenne - this ingredient is optional - this is where the mixture gets most of its heat. I like the heat so I usually add 1/4 tsp.  If you are hesitant you can always add more heat to the meat once its cooked by sprinkling more cayenne on.  Its best to add more then because you can taste the meat mixture and adjust the heat to your liking without over doing it.

*I don't add salt to my taco seasoning. I like to add it to the meal as I am cooking it so I don't over salt anything.
ENJOY!




4 comments:

  1. In the prepackaged taco seasoning there are carbs per tsp. Does this have any carbs seems how it's just seasoning? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on the exact seasoning you are using. Some seasoning brands do have carbs. I would calculate the nutritional information based on the exact spices you are using.

      Delete
  2. This mix is equal to 1 packet of seasoning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I'm making my tacos for 1 lb of meat I usually use 2-3 Tbsp of this spice mixture.

      Delete