Tuesday, August 11, 2015

lil carb Basil-Coconut Cauli-Rice


Video link above to watch me make this!


One of my favorite restaurants called Third and Ferry Fish Market makes an amazing coconut rice and I have been craving it for quite some time- I would order the grilled mahi-mahi covered with pineapple salsa all served over coconut rice- YUM!  The best thing about this recipe is - I made this  using no rice at all!  Instead I used grated cauliflower and oh boy... it was amazing!  It also keeps well stored in a tuber ware in the fridge.  I just finished the last of it as I am writing this and it was just as tasty as the first night I made it!  Pop it in the microwave, sit back and enjoy the flavors! If I would have known it would be this good on the first try of a new recipe I would have doubled it!  The best part is, it's one of those recipes where I eat it and I literally think I'm eating rice. In a low-carbers life, what more could ya want?!  The subtile flavor of coconut paired with fresh herbs is absolutely perfect. If you are looking for a side dish to accompany grilled fish, chicken or shrimp this is it! It's so versatile and light and summery that it will go with almost anything- OR eat it on it's own! Let me know what you think!



lil carb Basil Coconut Rice- Serves 4

Sauce:
1 13.5 oz can Coconut Milk- unsweetened (check the carbs)
2 Cups fresh Basil Leaves
1 small garlic clove
3 Tbsp Jarred Jalapeño Slices

3 Tbsp Butter
4 Scallions, sliced - separate the white and the green
4 Cups cauliflower, grated (about half a large head)
Salt n Pepper to taste

Start by pureeing the 3 sauce ingredients along with 1/4 tsp of salt in a blender for 30 seconds.  
**If the mixture is over-blended the coconut milk will separate- so be careful and keep it to a 30 second blend.

Set that aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add the scallion whites and sauté for a few minutes.  (the smell at this point is intoxicating. Nothing better than onion n butter smell- to ME anyway!  When I look at that picture above, I can actually smell it!) Next, add in the cauliflower, coconut milk puree, and an additional 1/2 tsp of salt.

Bring this mixture to a simmer and mix often.  Once it is bubbling turn the heat down to medium low and cover with a lid.  Let this continue to cook and reduce the sauce for about 20 minutes. I stirred at 10 minutes and 15 minutes into cooking time.
Since it's cauliflower and not rice it will not soak up as much liquid but the puree will reduce down creating a thick sauce.
Once it is nice and thick stir in the scallions greens and season with salt and pepper. 




1 comment:

  1. Can you use cilantro instead of the basil? Easier and cheaper to buy

    ReplyDelete