Saturday, February 6, 2016

lil carb Sausage & Kale Frittata


I have been a horrible blogger lately!  But instead of dwelling on the fact that I have been MIA for ...OUCH- over 3 months!--I'm going to jump right in and give you the best frittata recipe that I have ever made to date!  Best frittata awarded to me by my husband Jason. I love frittatas because you can literally throw in whatever you have or whatever you like- it's that simple.  This time I had a lot of fillings so I actually made 2 frittatas.  When I did this it resulted in a little bit thinner of a frittata which I really liked.  It made the fillings the star versus the egg this time. A nice change!  You could certainly half the recipe if you only want one but in my house these reheat so well that they are usually gone in 3 days tops!  When you want a homemade breakfast in the morning you can microwave a slice and it is ready in 2 minutes!  How convenient is that!? Especially because I hate cooking a big breakfast before work during the week - this is perfect to keep in the fridge and reheat whenever you're ready.

Self Proclaimed Best lil carb Frittata Yet- Serves 8 
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, juicy insides removed and chopped
1 cup kale, tightly packed
1/2 lb ground breakfast sausage
8 whole eggs
3 Tbsp half and half
3 slices of american cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste

Spray 2 8-inch pie pans with cooking spray.
Preheat over to 415 degrees.
Add 2 tsp olive oil and 1/2 tbsp of butter to a large skillet.
Crumble your sausage as you drop it into the skillet.
Brown sausage for about 2 minutes then add in the chopped onion.
Cook together for a few minutes more until the sausage gets browned and cooked through and the onions begin to soften.
Next, add in the kale and stir until it wilts- about 2 minutes.
Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add in the tomatoes and stir.  Just to warm them through.
Turn off the heat.




Next, scramble your eggs with half and half and add in a pinch of salt and pepper.
Divide the sausage filling between each pie pan.  Then pour equal amounts of the egg mixture over each. Using a spatula, stir gently each frittata so the egg coats all the filling.
Lastly, I like to break the american cheese into smaller pieces and lay them over the top of each frittata.
Bake for 20 minutes and then let sit for 5 minutes before cutting in and enjoying!
















No comments:

Post a Comment