Friday, November 21, 2014

Lil Carb Chocolate Covered Strawberry "Mock-Shake"


TGIF! For as long as I can remember Fridays have been my favorite day of the week- when I was younger it was probably attributed to Full House.  But now that I'm all grown up, whats a better feeling then leaving work on a Friday with the whole weekend ahead of you!?  It's time to feel good and put the last 5 days of work behind you and be happy! How can you be happy?! Start with feeling good- the way I feel good is by eating healthy- but I am a foodie so my food has to taste as good as it is for me! ha
Since I started on my new low carb lifestyle last June I have not been eating much fruit because of the high sugar content. But now that my wedding is over I have been slowly introducing good-for-you carbs and a little bit of fruit back into my diet- and with no weight gain! I learned the hard way that I have to do it slowly. Otherwise my blood sugar rises very high and literally puts me to sleep - It's crazy to know that my body is that used to not having carbs and sugar!  But, in an effort to introduce some fruit again I started experimenting with smoothies!  Who doesn't love a good smoothie?! My sister Lizzy who hates all lettuces will even make kale smoothies and loves them. In fact she is the one that bought me my Nutribullet for my bridal shower! ( Thanks Madgy!)  I highly recommend the Nutribullet. After I raved about mine so much I actually bought her one a month later for her birthday. It's one of those kitchen appliances that you will not regret buying because you will use it all the time. Its so easy to use and its even easier to clean and you don't lose any of the nutrients from the fruit and veggies when you blend them up.  I recently experimented with a new recipe I call the Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie and it is SO yummy I would even consider it my version of a milkshake it tastes so good!!  I made one this morning and it filled me up until lunch time! 

I started off with my main ingredients and my Nutribullet cup.  


I added in the kale greens first to the bottom of the cup.


Next went the frozen strawberries and frozen blueberries.
(If my fruit isn't frozen I will add ice but I didn't have to today)


On top of that I added in the chia seeds and the protein powder.
I add the chia seeds in now so they have something to sit on and don't fall to the bottom of the cup otherwise they don't blend very well. 


Then I add in the cold water and screw on the blade and pop it on the blender!


Twist away and blend for 40 seconds.  Mmmm!  
Its important to let it blend for over 30 seconds so that your smoothie isn't chunky or gritty. I usually set my kitchen timer and walk away!


Once the timer goes off you're ready to go!  Its also important to drink your smoothie soon after you make it. Plus, why wouldn't you!? It is so yummy!  The chocolate protein powder will fill up your belly and keep you full while the kale and blueberries are super healthy and nutritious and the strawberries add a perfect amount of sweetness.


My version of a "Chocolate Covered Strawberry Mock-Shake" ha!
1 cup Kale greens
7 whole, frozen strawberries
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1/2 scoop Isopure dutch chocolate protein powder*
1/4-1/2 cup cold water
Assemble in that order and blend for 40 seconds.. and enjoy!

* This protein powder is Jason's favorite and it quickly became my favorite too.  It's a low carb powder and for half of a scoop I get 12 grams of protein and only 55 calories!

When I start my day off with smoothies I feel energized and sometimes I don't even eat my mid morning snack because I'm still full from my smoothie breakfast.  Putting healthy ingredients in will give out energy and make you feel good. Thats what life is all about!  We're so used to grabbing breakfast from a bagel shop or a fast food drive-thru but to make this smoothie it took me literally 2 minutes total and then I was out the door. I have learned that taking that extra few minutes at home really propels me into being happy and feeling good all day long.  Knowing exactly what is in what I eat is important to me as well.
Happy Friday to everyone!  Smile!- the weekend is here! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment