Thursday, November 20, 2014

Lil Carb Cauliflower Mash


Here we are again!  The holidays are upon us. How exciting!!! I feel like this time comes faster and faster every year. I have made it my main focus over the past 3 years to be thankful as much as I can and not wait until Thanksgiving or even Thankful Thursdays instead, I try my hardest to be positive every day and to be thankful and grateful every day.  It has changed my life!  The best way to learn how to get on this thinking wavelength is the book The Power by Rhonda Byrne. I have talked about her and her book before but I can't stress enough how much it truly changed my life!  Check it out! ha. OK I'm done talking about her book again! ... for today! lol

Thanksgiving makes me think of a full belly and a happy smile and a nap.  There are so many carbs on the Thanksgiving table between potatoes and bread and stuffing and so much sugar from the sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce and all the desserts that last year being Jason and I's first year going low carb- it was more than difficult. So this year I'm going prepared! I am going to my mother in-law, Vera's house this year and I plan on bringing the zucchini gratin I made last week and posted about here and I'm also going to bring a switch up on one of the most popular Thanksgiving side dishes- mashed potatoes!  But I make it with cauliflower and I bet most people wouldn't even taste the difference- you might like it better! Now that we are eating lower carb I actually prefer cauliflower mash.  Potatoes always made my stomach feel too full - don't get me wrong potatoes taste like a gift from Heaven they are SO yummy! But for some reason the starch just makes me extra full even after eating only a little bit.  That's where cauliflower mash is perfect because it satisfies the  mashed potato craving but it's a totally low carb recipe! I love going to a family get together and bringing a low carb dish and having everyone love it!  Who knew that eating healthy could taste so good?!

Zucchini Gratin!  Get the recipe from my previous blog post!
Even better- this recipe is super simple with an ingredient that I bet no one will guess and its very versatile.  Hint: the secret ingredient was told to me by a friend that puts it in his mashed potatoes and everyone loves them so I tried it and it works for cauliflower as well as potatoes!

Cauliflower Mash:
1 Head Cauliflower cut into medium florets
2-3 Tbsp Mayonnaise (I use Hellmans regular mayo) SURPRISE secret ingredient!
2 Tbsp Butter or more depending on what you like!
Salt and Pepper to taste

I steam the cauliflower for 4 minutes then add it right to my food processor with the rest of the ingredients and pulse until the cauliflower is the constancy of mashed potatoes, takes about 20 seconds.  Taste and then add more salt, pepper, mayo or butter depending on personal preference.  Cauliflower heads can range in size so start on the low end of the mayo, butter, salt and pepper, and taste as you go.

Here's a tip- If you make this and your main dish isn't ready yet I just put the lid on the food processor and it will keep it warm for about 30 minutes. Pulse right before you serve and it will warm it through.

This base recipe can go in so many directions! I listed a few of my favorites here:
Cheddar Mash- Jasons fav!
Add 1/4 Cup Cheddar Cheese and stir into the warm, already pulsed mixture and top with 4 slices of chopped crispy bacon.

Garlic Mash (my fav!!!!):
Add half a head of roasted garlic to food processor and pulse and add other half of roasted garlic head and stir in. 1/2 flavor and 1/2 chunks of garlic ha!

Chive and Sour Cream Mash-
Substitute the mayo for sour cream and increase the amount to 3-4 Tbsp then top with 3 Tbsp chopped chives!
My Asiago chicken served with red pepper spiced cauliflower and garlic cauliflower mash!
Recipe for the whole meal to come soon! 
The possibilities are endless!  In fact I still haven't decided which kind I'm going to bring on Thanksgiving this year but what I do know is that adding being thankful into my everyday routine made me realize and remember that life is precious and there are so many things to be thankful for!  Start now and continue through next week and on into the New Year- be thankful every day! Treat every day like it's Thanksgiving :)







No comments:

Post a Comment