Saturday, November 29, 2014

lil carb Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Burger




All of my favorite cooking sites, shows and chef personalities are talking about ways to transform your Thanksgiving leftovers into something new and creative.  Buttttt, am I the only one who has the turkey dinner and then is just done with it?  Don't get me wrong Thursdays dinner was amazing and I love reheating a plate full of turkey slathered in gravy with cauliflower mash and some zucchini gratin and brussel sprouts and roasted squash- the list goes on but after that plate I don't want to make a turkey-stuffing-cranberry- panini or a turkey pot pie or a pumpkin pie milkshake... instead I am craving something different.  Something that I haven't had in a few months.  On a side note: none of those fun turkey diner leftover ideas are low carb so it takes the fun out of it for me anyway- bah humbug, I know haha
Not that we've had our first snow and the holidays have started I get nostalgic for summer and a good juicy burger!  The best part about this burger is - Jason doesn't have to freeze out in the cold to grill it! I make it right on the stove top and believe it or not the cast iron skillet magically gets the same fresh from the grill flavor right into the meat. This burger idea came from me craving another favorite - Jalapeño Poppers! Everytime Jason and I used to order pizza we would get "Poppers"- as we call them- as an appetizer. They would come breaded and stuffed with cheddar and cream cheese... oh so good! ...too good! These craving fits have given me great inspiration for low carb dishes!


For Jasons burger I placed iceberg lettuce cups on a sheet of wax paper. 
Then topped the lettuce with Mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and 2 slices of bacon.

Next comes the burger! Mmmm


Top the burger with the lettuce hat and I probably had another mayo dollop under there with more black pepper.


Wrap that yummy creation into the wax paper to hold it all together!


Jalapeno Popper Burgers- Makes 4 burgers
4 Beef Patties 
2 Oz Cream Cheese- I used whipped, chive flavor
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/3 Cup Jalapeños, chopped. I use one that are called "tamed" and they are not spicy.
4 Oz White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Pepper Jack cheese for topping the burgers (optional)
Butter for the skillet

Burger toppings:
8 Slices of Bacon, cooked until crispy
Mayonnaise
Salt and Pepper
Ice Burger Lettuce
Which ever bun you prefer, lettuce bun included

Cook bacon until crispy and set aside and try not to nibble- a task that is impossible for me. 
Combine cream cheese, onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper, and chopped jalapeños.  Stir mixture until combined. Then add in the shredded cheese and mix again.

Using your hand "cut" the patties in half.  Form each half into a thin patty. Top each half with 1/4 of the cream cheese filling. place the other half of the patty on top and seal in all the sides and form back into a thick patty. 

In a cast iron skillet melt a little butter and cook burgers for 4 minutes a side. 

Then assemble the burgers. My way is: Bun-mayo-s&p-bacon-burger-mayo-pepper-lettuce-bun.

Then dive in- take a bit and enjoy the wonderful creamy cheese, the stringy monetary jack, the crunch from the jalapeño, all mixed with the mayo and iceberg lettuce- YUM! Brings me right back to the summer! 


*Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone it's so important to remember to be thankful every day! I was delighted to see all over Facebook peoples statuses were saying what they were thankful and grateful for- do that every day!  The world will be a better place!*

No comments:

Post a Comment