Friday, November 14, 2014

lil carb Sausage & Pumpkin Soup


250 calories and 6 net carbs per serving!

Watch me cook this soup!


What's better than a warm bowl of homemade soup on a fall day?! What's better than a bowl of warm pumpkin soup on a fall day?! What's that you say- Pumpkin doesn't sound too appealing in a soup??  If you thought that then you would get along with my husband.  When I put my menu up on the fridge and he read "Sausage and Pumpkin Soup" his nose scrunched up and he said "I don't think I'll like that".  Little did he know that I know him more than he knows himself and I knew he would love this soup ha! And so will you because it is super hearty and packs so much flavor and I love the way the pumpkin thickens the soup but doesn't add the raw pumpkin flavor you are probably picturing.

*UPDATE: I just made this soup because of a craving I was having- don't judge me. It's April and I originally made this soup in October but it's delicious any time of the year!


lil carb Sausage & Pumpkin Soup- 6 servings
1 Tbsp olive oil
16 oz hot Italian sausage, casings removed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 15 oz can of pumpkin**
1 package of mushroom 6-10 oz- any kind you like, chopped
4 cups chicken stock
2 Tbsp red wine
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1 cup of heavy cream
Chopped scallions, for garnish
Mozzarella, for garnish

Heat oil in cast iron stock or soup pot over medium high heat, brown sausage and drain.  Add in garlic and onion and cook until onion is translucent- about 2 minutes. Deglaze pot with the red wine and scrape brown bits of sausage from the bottom of the pot.  Then add in mushrooms and cook another 2 minutes.  Then add in all the spices and stir well to incorporate. *Next, pause and take in the wonderful smells in your kitchen* Add in the chicken stock and mix well. Then add in the can of pumpkin and stir well again. Simmer for 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
After soup has simmered for 25 minutes add in the heavy cream, stir well and let simmer another 15-20 minutes.
Garnish the warm soup with a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese and a few scallions.

Yum yum, this soup will warm your lil hart! Such wonderful flavors!  It really is the perfect fall -or any time you feel like- soup!

**When buying canned pumpkin I like to buy organic pumpkin puree. The one my store carries is low carb, but just check your labels. Stay away from cans that say "Pumpkin Pie Filling", they will be high carb and very sweet!
!HAPPY OCTOBER!

1 comment: