Monday, November 24, 2014

Lil Carb Blackened Cheddar Ranch Chicken

Welcome to the short week of the Thanksgiving holiday!  Not only is Thanksgiving this Thursday but there is also snow expected for NJ on Wednesday night!  Nothing better than baking while watching the snow fall- That is my definition of a happy thought!  Since it is a short week and I plan on eating a few carbs on Thursday (Shhh), I decided to keep the menu for Jason and I very clean and healthy for the beginning of this week.  I plan on making three simple but tasty dinners.  I overdid it a little last weekend too with my food intake (it's the holiday season!), let's be honest we all do it BUT don't get down on yourself. Just make a point to eat a lil healthier for a day or two to get yourself back on track.  If you wallow in the sorrow of eating poorly you will only get more upset and gain weight. Instead, give thanks for the great food you ate and plan for a healthy next few days with your food choices!  I go into the holidays with the thoughts of moderation. I didn't gain 40 lbs overnight so I'm not going to gain it back in that amount of time either but that doesn't mean I get to go crazy- I love food, but sometimes having one or two bites of something is all I need.  I satisfy the craving but I'm able to try a lil of everything. But on to eating healthy! ha

Up for this week:
Monday - Blackened Cheddar Ranch chicken served with roasted eggplant and zucchini rounds

Tuesday - "White pizza" chicken roll ups served with garlic parmesan broccoli

Wednesday - Country style meatloaf with an easy garlic gravy served with cauliflower "mac n cheese"

...Then before I know it, it'll be Thursday morning and I'll be baking desserts and whipping up sides for Thanksgiving! The older I get the more excited I get for every holiday- I didn't think that was possible. This year I can't wait to cook and see family- I'm so thankful to be in such close proximity to mine and Jasons family! And the snow will surely set the tone- it always puts me in the holiday spirit.

Tonight for my simple chicken dinner I have mixed up my own blackening spice mixture.  This is so versatile.  You can really use it on anything: chicken, steak, salmon, the options are endless. You could even sprinkle a lil on some veggies with olive oil and roast them in the oven.  The true meaning of versatile ha. Having a simple spice mixture on hand like this takes a seemingly uneventful chicken dinner to the next level of flavors.  Plus mixing the spices myself saves on carbs and preservatives.

When I add it to my mini mason jar I make enough so that I will have plenty to save. So if this seems like too much just cut the recipe in half.

Blackening Seasoning:
3 Tbsp Paprika
3 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 1/2 Tbsp Onion Powder
2 Tbsp Thyme
2- 2 1/2 tsp Cayenne (depending on the spice level you like)
2 tsp Basil
2 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Celery Salt
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Black Pepper

I add these to my mason jar and shake it up.

To make the blackened cheddar ranch chicken I sprinkle the chicken liberally with the spice mixture. I let it rest in the seasonings for about 5 minutes.


Then I sauté the chicken in a lil bit of olive oil for about 3-4 minutes a side until its browned.


While that is cooking I have my zucchini and eggplant rounds in the oven roasting. 

Before- Prepped and ready to go!
All I did to prep those was slice them into rounds and using a kitchen brush I brush each round with olive oil and then you can sprinkle on any combination of seasonings that you like. Tonight I used garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flake. Then flip them over and repeat on the other side. Then roast them in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes.
After- All oiled and spiced up, ready for the oven. 


After the chicken is sautéed I put it on cooling rack that I have placed on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil.  Then I top the chicken with Ranch- I prefer Hidden Valley regular Ranch (only 2 rams of carbs per serving).  Then cover that in shredded cheddar cheese and broil until the cheese is gooey and 
melty.
Chicken- check!
Ranch- check!
Cheddar Cheese- check!
After broiling chicken for 2 minutes...Dinner- check!

CHICKEN:
3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
3 Tbsp Blackening Spice Mix *(recipe above)
3 Tbsp Ranch Dressing
1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
---how easy are those ingredients!?---

Rub chicken in the blackening spice mixture and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook chicken until browned, 3-4 minutes per side.

Place chicken on a wire cooling rack and place the rack inside of a foil lined baking sheet.  Top with Ranch dressing and then with shredded cheddar cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbling.

~Blackened Cheddar Ranch Chicken & Roasted Zucchini & Eggplant Rounds~
What an easy and yummy dinner! Everything doesn't have to be gourmet and complicated - try this and you will agree! Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment