Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Crispy Baked Zucchini Chips


As I've said, I did the 100 diet from Jorge Cruise which focuses on changing your diet to be lower in carbohydrates. My husband and I started it initially to lose weight for our wedding but over a year and a half later we have made a low carb diet part of our lifestyle. I feel better than I have ever felt and the best part is that we can still go out to eat and out for drinks to socialize. The way we eat now there is always something at a restaurant that we can eat. One of our favorite things to eat out was sushi and we thought for sure we would never get to eat that again until we realized that our favorite sushi place makes a few sushi rolls with cucumber instead of rice!

Spicy tuna and avocado sushi roll, rolled with cucumber on the right, on the left is my husband forming the extra cucumber into a heart <3
Another one of my favorite restaurants offers a lot of low carb options on their menu, my favorite dish to get there is an arugula salad topped with grilled mahi mahi garnished with pineapple and mango slices. Sooo good! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Mahi mahi from Mattars Restaurant- Hackettstown, NJ
As you can tell I love taking pictures of my food. If someone took the time and put out the love to make this creation for me why not preserve it. Especially now so that I can show you!

One of my favorite snacks has always been potato chips. Not exactly a staple in a low carb diet... unfortunately. So knowing that I can't eat them anymore- not every day and not in excess at least- Instead I make zucchini chips. These are one of Jasons favorites! These can be grilled or baked. I find that baking them allows them to get more chip-like versus charred from the grill. Although, I like them when they are not too crispy and Jason likes them very crispy so it all depends on preference. The recipe I'm going to show you, I baked but you could easily throw these on the grill. 

I started by slicing 1 extra large zucchini.  I tried to keep them close to the same thickness. I could have used a mandolin but to be honest it scares me ha- I know one day I'll take off a knuckle. I don't want to clean up that mess. ha- I only use it when I have to.

Next I put about 2 tbsp of olive oil in small dish and used a plastic brush to spread oil on top of each slice of zucchini. I find that doing it this way allows you to control the oil. I used to toss the oil and spices and zucchini in a large bowl but then I don't think each slice gets equal oil and spices so this is how I do it now. 



Once the first side has a thin layer of oil I sprinkle on garlic salt, pepper, red pepper flake, and onion powder.  I usually just do a layer of each one, it doesn't have to be any precise measurement and you could do any combo of spices that your family likes. Sometimes I add chili powder or paprika too!


Then flip over the slices and do the exact same thing to the other side. 


Pop this into a 400 degree oven for at least 30 minutes. Depending how thick the zucchini is sliced will determine how long it will take.  After about 20 minutes I will check on them and flip them.  Sometimes they need longer. Just monitor them until they're done to your liking. I think they are better than potato chips- because I can eat them without feeling guilty and they have so much flavor from the spices! These go great along side of grilled chicken or a burger (without a bun), they also go great as an appetizer. Its important to try new things and never get complacent with food!  I will be sharing more of my low carb switch ups soon! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment